Sunday, July 10, 2011

Great Places for Bubble Tea


So if you or your friends are anything like me and mine, you're particularly persnickety about where you purchase your bubble tea. As a community that embraces ethnic cuisine and fosters a plethora of Asian (among other) food markets, we have created a herd of bubble tea lovers. The only problem is, not every place has great bubble tea (I've learned that the hard way!) So where do you go to get awesome bubble tea? Unfortunately, I cannot say I've been to EVERY bubble tea place the Portland Metro area has to offer, but I can give you a bit of a inside scoop of some of the places I've zeroed in on to help you with your selection.

First off, I have to give a big sad face :( to the Blue Sky Cafe closing in Beaverton. Once upon a time it was my favorite place to get bubble tea, and they had some amazing smoothies! Other places I've tried were too icy, which is a problem you run into with the not-so-great bubble tea places. There are, in fact, other Blue Sky locations. HOWEVER, there was something so easy and comfortable about the Beaverton location that was sadly lost. Even so, Blue Sky has the BEST smoothies I've ever had, hands down. So, if there's one near you, I'd give it a try. To my surmise, the nearest location is not close. Hence, my friends and I had to search out a new regular spot. We found one that is not far from where the Blue Sky in Beaverton used to be, right off Canyon Road. It's called Bubble Bubble, and it's a wonderfully quaint, colorful spot to spend an afternoon or evening with friends (if you are so inclined). They also have a nice variety of different flavors of tea, milk tea, jellies, and smoothies to satisfy any inclination you may have.

Another great spot for bubble tea, although it's not quite the place where you'd sit for a while, is the small cafe in Fubonn (the Asian food market in Southeast). Next time you're in the mood to do some grocery shopping, stop by for a treat on your way in or out, and I promise you will not be disappointed.

My last big mention is actually not distinctly a bubble tea place, although they do offer it. Up on NW 23rd there's this great place, Tea Chai Te, that's absolutely my favorite place to hole up with some friends, or a great book, and enjoy either bubble tea (if it's a hot day) or hot chai (if it's a cold one). One of the great aspects about this place is that it is so distinctly Portland. The atmosphere is quite casual, with a couch and various tables and chairs to plop down on. There's also a book shelf filled with a myriad of games and books to occupy you during your stay. In addition, the employees are allowed to put on their own music, so guests can listen to some awesome indie rock while sipping on their tea and enjoying a confection. To anyone who likes any sort of tea, I would suggest stopping by and making it your second home.

I hope this has helped in your quest for the perfect bubble tea. Bon appetit! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment