Sunday, July 10, 2011

Open Market Food Orgy

Every Portlander or wanna-be Portlander should venture to the Portland State University campus for the Saturday morning open market ritual, whereby authentic foodies seek out farmers and their fresh produce.

Although strict in policy to keep the market food-only, it is well worth the downtown headache to connect with farmers and other food veterans, to find renewal in the statement that “local always tastes better.” Case in point: fresh seasonal berries. I cannot escape the summer months or this particular farmer’s market without red stained fingers and an empty pint once filled with strawberries and raspberries. But that’s just the beginning.

Personally referred to as the food orgy, the experience is similar to a holy land pilgrimage specifically for those with a “sugary” disposition. Among friends, we will consume the caloric value of an entire day in the rich and labored treats. Much like show-and-tell, I would first like to showcase “The Tart Lady.” A freelancing sugar artist from the Hood River Market Gourmet family, she travels to the Portland State market where she is characterized by her pink and floral tent, crisp doilies, and never-ending ruffles. Fittingly, the Almond Cake this past Saturday was reminiscent of the heavily anticipated center of an almond croissant. Moist and appropriately almond-flavored, I was thankful to have snatched the last piece.
Making my way to the west end of the park blocks, I am a regular at the French creperie C’est Si Bon! With seasonal favorites in constant rotation, I predictably take my time in deciding between sweet and savory…can’t I have both?! However, this week I took a leap and landed softly in my discovery of the Pork Confit crepe: well seasoned slow-cooked pork, caramelized onions, greens, and apple butter. Yum!

My indulgent choices have not failed yet at either of these favorites. Come to a new appreciation for those who work for the food we eat at the PSU Saturday Market.

No comments:

Post a Comment